[dev] How to deal with changelog/metadata in pull requests

Ralf Lang lang at b1-systems.de
Wed Jul 29 18:01:33 UTC 2020

Hallo,

recently I picked up some overdue work on horde things. Basically the
process is always the same: Before I can start doing anything useful, I
have to update my fork (which is OK) and then resolve merge conflicts
for changelog, composer.json, package.xml ... metadata
Very rarely I get a conflict on actual lines of code (which would be
perfectly normal and OK).

Here is what I am currently trying:

- Code commits happen on a separate branch
- Metadata which I need to handle to get my things run is part of a
separate throw-away branch on top.
- Merge Requests/Pull Requests are initiated from the bare branch
- Metadata and changelog are either not generated or only after
agreement with upstream and hopes for a fast merge

This way I hope to save time, remove annoying merge warnings in pull
request screens and hopefully be more productive overall. My team will
come up with some automation for the trivial cases and some automated
notification for cases which require attention (code conflicts).

Is there any easy way around which I may have overlooked? I could resort
to force pushes as a habit but I rather wouldn't.

--
Ralf Lang
Linux Consultant / Developer
Mail: lang at b1-systems.de