[dev] versions, .horde.yml and correct tagging

Ralf Lang lang at b1-systems.de
Tue Feb 23 13:30:37 UTC 2021

Am 23.02.21 um 14:00 schrieb Ralf Lang:
> Hello,
>
> on the weekend I worked a bit on the composer release toolchain in my
> version of horde-components.
> Good news is I think it works ;)
>
> Bad news is I am a little unsure about versioning.
>
> What I found out:
>
> Current release branch FRAMEWORK_5_2 has:
>
> .horde.yml
>
> release: 5.2.24
>
> api: 5.2.0
>
> state:
>
> release: stable
>
> api: stable
> version:
>
> Application.php has
>
> public $version = '6.0.0-git';
>

> current master branch has:
>
> .horde.yml
>
> release: 6.0.0
>
> api: 6.0.0
>
> state:
>
> release: beta
>
> api: beta
> version:
>
> Application.php has
>
> public $version = '6.0.0-git';
>
> public $version = '5.2.24';
>
> The latest tagged version is: 5.2.23
>

> Similar pattern for imp:
> Version master is 7.0.0, version Framework_5_2 is 6.2.28, latest tagged version is 6.2.27
>
> So I understand: New major revision of the framework = new major revision of all libraries/apps, regardless of actual feature progress or bc break.
>
> The complicated part comes with alpha/beta/rc releases as I did not yet find good examples of .horde.yml for these.
>
> If I build a testing FRAMEWORK_6_0 branch and release, it would look like this:
>
> In the first iteration, FRAMEWORK_6_0 would be a clone from master, plus two release related commits
>
> The first tagged version would be "version 6.0.0" and the tag would be 6.0.0beta1, the $version string in the app would be 6.0.0beta1
> The version on the branch would be "version 6.0.0" (as we would still be in beta counting), the $version string would be 6.0.0beta2 as a next tag would be 6.0.0beta2.
>
> As soon as releases hit stable, the tip of branch would always be one patch level ahead of the latest tag.

Currently NextVersion only minds the verbatim version from .horde.yml

So if the .horde.yml file says 6.0.0 and beta, it produces:

tag: v6.0.0
Entry in .changelog.yml: 6.0.0

I think the .horde.yml version string should be the full tag including
alpha, beta or rc version. This should also be the key for
.changelog.yml. With these changes, everything works as i think it is
intended.

Just tell me if it's intentionally 6.0.0 and the code must be fixed to
deal with that.

Regards

Ralf

--