[dev] Horde_Util Transliterate iconv test

Ralf Lang lang at b1-systems.de
Tue Apr 6 08:26:37 UTC 2021

Hi,

we detected a problem with the horde_util iconv test (at least our
version) - some conversions are not happening as expected.

Here's our test suite by Marco (with the affected tests skipped for now).

https://github.com/maintaina-com/Util/runs/2276052452?check_suite_focus=true

1) Horde\Util\TransliterateTest::testTransliterateToAsciiIconv with data
set #1 ('AÀBEÉSß', 'AABEESss')
Failed asserting that two strings are equal.
--- Expected
+++ Actual
@@ @@
-'AABEESss'
+'A?BE?Sss'

/srv/git/util/test/Horde/Util/TransliterateTest.php:76
/srv/www/horde/vendor/phpunit/phpunit/src/TextUI/Command.php:142
/srv/www/horde/vendor/phpunit/phpunit/src/TextUI/Command.php:95
/srv/www/horde/vendor/phpunit/phpunit/phpunit:61

2) Horde\Util\TransliterateTest::testTransliterateToAsciiIconv with data
set #2 ('AÀ黾B', 'AA?B')
Failed asserting that two strings are equal.
--- Expected
+++ Actual
@@ @@
-'AA?B'
+'A??B'

/srv/git/util/test/Horde/Util/TransliterateTest.php:76
/srv/www/horde/vendor/phpunit/phpunit/src/TextUI/Command.php:142
/srv/www/horde/vendor/phpunit/phpunit/src/TextUI/Command.php:95
/srv/www/horde/vendor/phpunit/phpunit/phpunit:61

I tried to look into horde's original test suite but I did not find any
differences.

Then I wanted to check if the original tests also fail in travis-ci.

https://www.travis-ci.org/github/horde/Util/jobs/663183844

This run also has some skipped tests but I think this version works.

I don't have a very deep understanding of iconv. I also see very
different kinds of garbage depending on which editor I actually use.

Would it be OK to change the raw UTF-8 chars in the test fixtures into
\x or \u representation (with comment) or something similar?

--

Ralf Lang
Linux Consultant / Developer
Mail: lang at b1-systems.de