[dev] Library Name: horde/pubsub vs horde/eventdispatcher (PSR-14)

Ralf Lang lang at b1-systems.de
Thu Aug 5 12:26:00 UTC 2021

Hallo,

I have started implementing a very simple PSR-14 event dispatcher. It is
not yet really ready to use.https://github.com/maintaina-com/EventDispatcher

*Naming the library**
*

We already have horde/pubsub, but I did not take any code from it.

- I do not know where pubsub is already used
- I see no releases
- Little documentation
- Porting pubsub to modern standards would be more effort than simply
implementing PSR-14

For now, I decided to call it horde/eventdispatcher but we might as well
usurp the horde/pubsub name.

*Use case for Event Dispatching?*

I want to unify (calendar) event update/delete methods for changes
through UI, ActiveSync, WebDAV/InterApp, CalDAV and eliminate data loss
scenarios. Currently a caldav client loses any event attributes
Kronolith does not know. I have an idea how to fix that, but then I need
to prevent the Web UI and other channels from doing lossy updates.

It is currently implemented in multiple places, in Api, in Application,
by a handler extending a base handler, relying on some globals and
Kronolith:: helpers, I find it hard to implement meaningful tests.

With (message) event dispatching, I can isolate the different aspects
like itip handling, resources, alarms, ...

--

Ralf Lang
Linux Consultant / Developer
Mail: lang at b1-systems.de