[dev] Non-obvious dependencies

Ralf Lang lang at b1-systems.de
Fri Oct 8 09:08:57 UTC 2021

This morning, I ran into a non-obvious dependency once again.

I use ingo with the managesieve driver for mail filter management. A new
installation had ingo installed via composer, but the managesieve
dependency is marked as optional - you don't need it as long as you use
another backend. But sieve is a very common modern use case for mail
filtering. Everything seems to run fine until you try to save a new rule.

This is just an example, there are many more such cases.

I wonder if we can do better. We have the horde/test.php framework which
can provide hints on missing dependencies. Is this still something which
you recommend for active usage?

Another option would be not to offer backends with missing dependencies
in the config UI. However, this may produce the same problems with
admins being puzzled. It also does not solve automation cases.

--
Ralf Lang
Linux Consultant / Developer
Mail: lang at b1-systems.de