[dev] Library 6iness and PHP 8 readiness

Ralf Lang lang at b1-systems.de
Sat Nov 20 07:31:16 UTC 2021

https://wiki.horde.org/Doc/Dev/ConversionH6

I have begun a table of libraries which I have worked on converting to
standards which I consider suitable for a next release. Of course it's
all debatable as it is NOT aligned with upstream goals.
There are more libraries where I did parts or slightly different things,
evolving into the strategies I documented there.

I will add libraries to the table when I see them conforming
sufficiently to one of the described strategies.

One example I did not add to the table yet is Exception because there
are minor deviations in test setup and coding convention. Once it's
aligned, it will be on the list.
https://github.com/maintaina-com/Exception/tree/FRAMEWORK_6_0/src

The good news is we have a complete dependency cycle of libraries now,
so we have an installable set on which we can expand.

Everything is designed to allow a gradual move of applications towards
the namespaced versions without major jumps where only one or the other
must be used exclusively.
While most libs are straight conversions, some contain substantial new
features or some BC breaks - stricter signatures, renamed protected
variables, class names which are no straight conversions from the
unnamespaced model.

--
Ralf Lang
Linux Consultant / Developer