[doc] INSTALL missing some info

Mariano Lazzaro marianolazzaro at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 20:48:15 UTC 2013

Hi, I wanted to let you know that at the first time I was installing
HORDE 5 with PEAR, I followed *ALL* the prerequisites and the commands
for installation as written in
http://www.horde.org/apps/webmail/docs/INSTALL but in that page nothing
is said about PEAR needing to be upgraded in the first place.

I'm using Debian 6 (upgraded) but PEAR remains on a lower version than
needed to install HORDE, and PEAR is telling me that Horde 5 packages
needs PEAR 1.9.2 and 1.9.4.

And that's not all, after learning myself how to upgrade PEAR, there
were some OTHER missing PEAR packages needed which WEREN'T auto-upgraded
nor auto-downloaded nor auto-detected as a AUTO-DEPENDENCY, so it seems
to me that the whole PEAR installation has failed in its objective of
making everything auto-installable, and user friendly.

Here I'm sending you all a snippet with the list of commands missing in
the documentation INSTALL, that need to go INTO the section
PREREQUISITES (as in PEAR >= 1.9.2).

pear install pear
pear install pear/net_sieve
pear install pear/net_smtp
pear install pear/net_imap
pear install pear/net_pop3
pear channel-discover pear.symfony.com

Please take my message as a way to improve the docs, and please don't
assume that everybody knows the inner workings of PEAR, so it would be
VERY NICE for new users that those 6 extra steps that I wrote are in
some way included in the INSTALL. (for example: INSTALL tells you that
you need IMAP/POP3 and SMTP servers running, but it doesn't tell you
that PEAR needs to have special PEAR modules updated to latest versions
for SMTP/IMAP/POP3).

Thank you for your time, now I'll be glad to test Horde 5 if everything
else goes well.