[doc] wvWare

Rich Lafferty rich@horde.org
Fri, 3 Nov 2000 16:23:39 -0500

On Fri, Nov 03, 2000 at 04:10:53PM -0500, Chuck Hagenbuch (chuck@horde.org) wrote:
> Quoting Scott Martin <martin@math.ohiou.edu>:
>
> > Really, my goal was to actually write a document that told the average user
> > how to get Horde, Imp and Turba, plus all of their external binaries up and
> > running quickly. If you want to remove this document as the INSTALL document
> > as write something different, and just post my document as a "Quick Start"
> > or "Installation Notes" document available from you FAQ page or whatever
> > that's fine. Like I said I just want to help out. I'd just hate to see the
> > notes I took on installing the external binaries go to waste.
>
> I don't want to throw away good documentation either. I'm sure that there's
> _some_ place for it. What are other people's opinions on this?

You are in a maze of twisty passages, none alike enough to generalize.
- MORE -

I've found that doing this just leads to having to do it too
much. And wait until you see what some of the unixes out there do with
shared libraries (and don't forget the ones that don't have them at
all!). For wvHtml and friends, I'd say that (1) it's a basic software
installation, (2) it's documented by the wvHtml folks, (3) it's
possible to find out if it's installed right without IMP, and (4) it's
more of a moving target than any other software I know :-)

Do we document ispell, or aspell, or both, or ispell-intl, or what?

Of course, the *other* problem with having something that spelled-out
as INSTALL is that there are a lot of ways to install IMP which
conflict with its recommendations. Here, for instance, the database
and the webserver sit in their own chroot jail, the database is
started with chrootuid, and the webserver has no documentroot -- and I
wouldn't do it any other way in the context of the system it's
installed on.

   -Rich

 Sysadmin/Programmer, Instructional and Information Technology Services