[doc] Re: Documentation reccomendations

Brent J. Nordquist bjn@horde.org
Wed, 7 Feb 2001 13:00:59 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 7 Feb 2001, Chuck Hagenbuch <chuck@horde.org> wrote:

> Yeah... the other question is, are we going to keep INSTALL as
> comprehensive as it's currently trying to be? RedHat instructions are
> all well and good, but...

I've been trying to shunt all the Red Hat (RPM) specific stuff into the
RPM README file; I think that is the best general philosophy:  write for
tarballs and config. files (in as platform-non-specific a way as we can)
and put packaging stuff and OS-specific stuff elsewhere.

The 2.2 branch docs/INSTALL files do this.  I can't vouch for the 2.3 ones
because I've hardly touched them... I suspect they're a mess and I'm
frankly afraid to look hard.  ;-)

--
Brent J. Nordquist <bjn@horde.org>

>From chuck@horde.org Date: Wed,  7 Feb 2001 16:05:10 -0500
> I've been trying to shunt all the Red Hat (RPM) specific stuff into the
> RPM README file; I think that is the best general philosophy:  write for
> tarballs and config. files (in as platform-non-specific a way as we can)
> and put packaging stuff and OS-specific stuff elsewhere.

I like this approach.

> The 2.2 branch docs/INSTALL files do this.  I can't vouch for the 2.3 ones
> because I've hardly touched them... I suspect they're a mess and I'm
> frankly afraid to look hard.  ;-)

Heh. Because of what you think you'll find, or what you think you _won't_ find?
=)

-chuck

--
Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck@horde.org>
"My intuitive grasp of math often leads me astray." -Me

From: lordscarlet@idledreams.net
> > I've been trying to shunt all the Red Hat (RPM) specific stuff into the
> > RPM README file; I think that is the best general philosophy:  write for
> > tarballs and config. files (in as platform-non-specific a way as we can)
> > and put packaging stuff and OS-specific stuff elsewhere.
>
> I like this approach.
>
> > The 2.2 branch docs/INSTALL files do this.  I can't vouch for the 2.3
> ones
> > because I've hardly touched them... I suspect they're a mess and I'm
> > frankly afraid to look hard.  ;-)
>
> Heh. Because of what you think you'll find, or what you think you _won't_
> find?
> =)
>
> -chuck

i'd be happy to be a guinea pig for going through the documentation word for
word.. i have a second machine that is behind my firewall that doesn't do any
server tasks so i'd be happy to screw it up in the process of trying.. and this
time through i'll keep documentation of anything missing or wierd that
happens :)

doug.