[doc] Fwd: Re: [turba] horde db shortcomings

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Thu Oct 30 14:40:30 PST 2003

I'm busy now, but when I get a chance I'll try to use some of the info
provided here...

> ----- Forwarded message from esj at harvee.org -----
>     Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 19:04:27 -0400
>     From: "Eric S. Johansson" <esj at harvee.org>
>  Subject: Re: [turba] horde db shortcomings
>       To: jlewis at lewis.org
>
> jlewis at lewis.org wrote:
>   > The people who've created/maintained horde are all volunteers.  Are you
> > volunteering to write better docs for the project?
>
> after a fashion.  I'm not the right person for writing the English but I
> do collect information.  Here's the first draft.  I'm trying to capture
> everything I tripped over.  I will keep capturing information until I'm
> done.  whether it is used to improve the project or not is out of my
> hands.

Well, it is in your hands in that if you don't submit it, it won't be used. ;)
But if you do submit it, and it is worth using, it will surely be used
(eventually).

> ---eric

Good name :)

> ==============================
> before creating the database, give the postgres account a password.
> This will then be replicated into the database automatically.
>
> if something goes wrong with the database, you can simply delete it
> and (on Red Hat) it will be re-created.

That is rather OS and DB specific, so I'm not sure we can use it as-is.
But an intro section (make sure you setup the software, configure it, etc)
would be good, and we can try to mention some of this there.

> run webmin.  It makes the process of verifying results an order of
> magnitude easier.

Too specific.  Might mention it as an option, but certainly won't require
it.

> provide "you should see this at this point" markers at least at the
> end of each table set up

We can try to do something here, but I'm not sure what yet.

> be explicit at each stage what user you should be running as.  My
> experience shows that running as postgres is usually best for setting
> up database features

Yes, we can put that in the initial section mentioned above.

> make sure your scripts work.

Obviously.  And probably need to document what versions it is known to
work with, and any changes between versions, etc.  In fact, the current
scripts fail for me, but for totally different reasons/errors...

> The psql tool does not show ownership of tables

Yes, it does show ownership, but not other permissions.

> when viewed by webmin, you get a different story.

Maybe you want to try \dp instead of (or in addition to) \d or \dt?
Or if you like single letters then try \z instead?

I'll try to get this all in some docs when I get time (just now catching up
from a vacation last week).

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics