[gollem] directory up from home

Liam Hoekenga liamr at umich.edu
Sat Dec 7 18:25:27 2002

>  | As it seems, with a ftp backend gollem handles all paths relative to the
>  | home directory of the user. So you can only change to e.g. /var/www by
>  | entering the get parameter dir=/var/www directly.

Does it actually show you any files when you do that though?  I tried
passing it dir=/tmp, dir=/, dir=/etc, and in every case it said "0 items
in /directoryname"

> If I'm understanding you correctly, the file backend gives you something
> like that.  On one machine I use the following that is easily to modify:

We do want to let people out of their "ftp-jail", because in our
installition it's not an ftp jail, it's a file system (using the file
system vfs backend) that we want people to traverse.  Sure, we want them
to start out in their home directories, but it's entirely possible that
there are other directories that user's will want to manage with this (eg
groups home directories that they may be managing).  We're hoping to use
gollem to provide a web interface to our AFS file system (permissions
aren't a problem, we've written an apache module to allow apache processes
to get file system credentials as the requesting user)..  user directories
are set up like...

    /afs/umich.edu/user/u/s/username

and groups like..

    /afs/umich.edu/group/somebigorganization/groupname

our users have legitimate reasons for wanting to roam the file system.

Currently, our backends.php says...

	$pwinfo = posix_getpwnam($_SERVER['REMOTE_USER']);
	$backends['file'] = array(
		'name' => 'Virtual Home Directories',
		'driver' => 'file',
		'preferred' => '',
		'params' => array('vfsroot' => $pwinfo['dir']));

We don't want people traversing above /afs/umich.edu, but we would like to
allow people to get out of their individual home directories.  I'd welcome
any suggestions - we haven't really had time to look at this problem, but
in the time I have had, I've not figured anything out.

thx
Liam