[gollem] directory up from home

Gaudenz Steinlin gaudenz at soziologie.ch
Sat Dec 7 19:00:28 2002

Am Sam, 2002-12-07 um 18.28 schrieb eculp@encontacto.net:
>  | > Interesting.  I've never really wanted to let users out of their "ftp
>  | jail".
>  | > I really don't have an answer except modify gollem on your installation.
>  | But as you can see in my explanations, this is not a real ftp jail. In
>  | my opinion you should implement this sort of security on the level of
>  | the ftp server an not in the client (gollem).
>
> I agree in theory but I'm just wondering how gollem is going to determine
> from the ftp server that you are not jailed.  If you have an answer and
> a patch, I'm sure it would be included as a preference.
>
> If you don't have a solution, you may still want to just change it locally
> because in your case not jailed is the desired default behavior.
I would propose to handle this like any other ftp client I know of. if
you type "cd .." at your ftp jail or the root directory then the command
retruns just fine, but the directory is not changed at all. So there is
no need the determine if you are jailed or not, if the jail is a "real"
jail.
I will try to fix this issue, but I wanted to ask on the list first, to
be sure I did not misunderstand the current directory handling of gollem
and because I believe that fixing this would require to add new methods
to Horde::VFS (eg. somthing like pwd()).

- gaudenz