[gollem] Read-only access for backends

Vijay Mahrra vijay.mahrra at es.easynet.net
Wed Jun 29 08:24:58 PDT 2005

Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:

> Set these permissions on what? Perms should be set per-backend, like
> Turba's source perms. Perms on Gollem itself will just affect whether
> or not someone sees/can access the app.

Ah, understood - that was where I lost the plot.

>> For example if the backend is an ftp account with an ISP somewhere and
>> you don't want to give users of your Horde installation permission to do
>> anything other than download from the backend that uses your ftp
>> credentials.
>
> Mmm?

A client of ours uses an external ftp site to upload files and wants to give
their staff access to those files via some kind of web front-end to provide
browsing and downloads-only (no filesystem modification features).

As you stated previously, we could set up a backend with the ftp auth
credentials.  But preventing the web front-end (Gollem) user performing
file operations and blanking out all the filesytem modification features
from the UI by default is something that needs implementing.

I will have a good look at getting this done and also see how Turba's source
perms works in order to provide a similar feature for Gollem's backends
within the Horde perms UI.

Thanks.

vijay