[gollem] ACL's on files

Micha Kersloot micha at kovoks.nl
Fri Mar 10 13:17:32 PST 2006

On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 10:47:13 -0700, Michael M Slusarz wrote:

>>> Should I extend Gollem, or start a new Document Management System?
>>
>> Good question. Given that Gollem is more or less a frontend for the
>> VFS library that does all the work, and that it's rather filesystem
>> centric, a separate application might make sense and shouldn't have
>> too much duplicate code.
>
> Agreed.  I've never thought of gollem as anything more than a file (in
> our case VFS) browser.  Once we are talking about any kind of software
> manipulation of the data contained in those files, this sounds like a
> separate app.

I don't have plans to manipulate the data in the files. I just wanted to
add some sharing options as can be found in the imp/kronolith/turba
applications.

I think to start with adding a layer on top of the file management
functions to control the user rights to the files. I don't think this will
work with the FTP driver because the rights management is done by the
ftp-server and we can't control it. On the other hand, I think for most
users the file driver is working under the apache user and gollem has
access to all files. The same for the musql driver.

I have to look a bit better in detail, but at the moment I'm thinking
about a cyrus approach. The base of the user-files is /home and if you
select a file or folder to be shared it appears to the other user in a
/shared/username folder. I don't know if this is clear to you, but if you
know cyrus you have the idea.

Micha.