[gollem] Can gollem share with non-subscribers?

corky corky at peavys.net
Mon Feb 11 19:46:51 UTC 2008

Chuck Hagenbuch wrote:
> Quoting corky peavy <corky at peavys.net>:
>
>> Does gollem have any mechanism where I could designate a folder as
>> public, and I could use that folder to share files with people who
>> don't have a horde account?
>
> I don't think this is currently possible. With some work on
> permissions, it might be doable though. You could perhaps provide a
> guest account to an FTP backend, and use the underlying unix
> permissions...
>
> -chuck
That would also be my suggestion. That way you could rely on the quota
system to prevent abuse of a public writeable directory on your server.

As far as I'm aware gollem itself will not keep an eye on the space used
and will not prevent user from uploading stuff until the server is out
of space.

Martin...

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the answer.  My customers frequently ask for this feature, it would be extremely useful.  The FTP option would not be so good, niave users seldom have success with FTP.  Also it must be completely self service.  The only package I've seen to offer this feature is SurgeMail.  It has other problems, but that was a killer feature.

Anyway I wonder if that type of feature would be something the Horde team would be opposed to seeing added.  It could be an option that is off by default.  If no objections, perhaps I could write it, or it might be better if I did your bounty thing to have people more familiar with Horde do it.  If I were to do it I'd need a little design discussion to make sure it fit into the hord way of doing things.

If I understand you correctly, gollem does not respect space quotas even for the hord user?  If so, that is a concern.

Corky
www.pvco.net