[gollem] Every Click takes more than 10 seconds

Devin Reade gdr at gno.org
Fri Jun 4 15:12:58 UTC 2010

Quoting Michael Gröne <michael.groene at zew.uni-hannover.de>:

> I was about to setup gollem to interact with our NAS via SMB and/or FTP.
> The connection works, I can see files and upload data, but every click
> in gollem needs more than 10 seconds before a new page is served.

I've not used gollem in a while (I should probably leave the list), but
you might want to try to get some metric for how long it takes a user
on your gollem server to connect to your ftp server.  In particular,
if the ftp server is sending ident packets and your gollem server is
silently ignoring them (common for firewall configs), then it can impart
a long delay.  Also check to see that your gollem server has a proper
PTR record in DNS and that your ftp server is able to resolve things
in a timely manner (or better yet, config your ftp server to not do
reverse lookups).

Turn up the logging level in your ftp/smb servers and you might be
able to see how long things take.