[gollem] gollem jail dir

cjdl01 cjdl01 at brokensolstice.com
Sat Nov 26 21:29:14 UTC 2011

Hello again.

I am trying to set up my gollem using the ftp backend.  It works great
with 2.0.1.  I'm using vsftp for my ftp server.

However, I want to set it up so that each user has a subdirectory
under their $HOME.  I want them to be essentially chrooted to that dir
-- so they cannot go anywhere above that directory and start deleting
things they will regret (like their MailDir folder, or .procmailrc).

I successfully set this up in vsftp.  When I would use a command line
ftp, i chrooted my to my ~/gollem directory just as I want it.
Unfortunately, gollem didn't like that setup.  Logins kept failing
with a message:  "Home directory not below root" (or something very
similar).

So I decided to try the other route.  In vsftp I set the root back to
the user's home dire ($HOME).  It looked like the "root" directive in
backends.php was my ticket, except that no matter what I put in there,
it wouldn't work.  Auth would fail with the same "Home directory not
below root"

After some searching, the only post I found on this was by me, back in
2006, and I never got a working solution.

I have tried such permutations in the 'root' => directive as:

'root' => 'gollem',
'root' => './gollem',
'root' => '~/gollem',
'root' => '/gollem',

I even tried to hard code it for my test user:
'root' => '/home/testuser/gollem'
'root' => '/home/testuser'
     'home' => './gollem

Even logging in as the testsuer, I still got the same error.

I tried:
'root' => '/home/' . Auth::getAuth() . '/gollem' as Michael had
suggested in that old post, and that doesn't do any better.

I have spent hours upon hours trying various combinations in the root
and home directives, as well as altering my vfstpd.conf file.  I
cannot come up with anything that works...

Any suggestions?

Thanks.