[gollem] Dropbox-type file sharing

Matthew mw at robotmouse.com
Wed Jan 22 12:54:09 UTC 2014

I'm using Gollem so that folk can browse SMB shares on my server; it
works fine. I've not really investigated the folder sharing feature of
Gollem; suspect it may not work well on an SMB back end, but it's not a
big deal; the things that need sharing are on shared, er, shares anyway.

What I'd like to do, though, is provide a way to link to individualfiles
rather than emailing them. Folk often have trouble with size-related
bouncebacks; many receiving MTAs have a size limit of eg 10mb, so I'd
like a way of getting a link to download a file, that can be sent in an
email will work for anyone without having to log in. Similar to eg Dropbox.

I'm thinking of maybe setting up a file backend in a web-accessible
directory, and have users copy the file there with Horde, and then make
a URL - but it's a bit clunky - I'd rather have it doable more easily
and just provide a URL to the resulting file.

Any ideas? Am I missing something obvious?