[hermes] Re: just testing - export is confusing

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Feb 25 09:26:11 PST 2005

On Fri, 2005-02-25 at 08:55 -0700, Craig White wrote:

> > What is in the TODO is about one specific, hard-coded form for mileage
> > expenses once we've added expense capability; I was NOT thinking of it
> > as a general form creating mechanism, which is how I'm interpreting what
> > you wrote.  And, we are not working on expenses or mileage forms just
> > yet.  We are working on 1) tracking time to "deliverables", and 2)
> > producing batch exports we can use for invoicing, with the review/edit
> > process in the application.
> >
> > But, I am curious: How are you thinking the custom forms would be useful?
> ----
> it just seemed to me to have a single form that had expense fields,
> total hour fields, start/end time fields would be confusing as to which
> would be the data entry fields and which would be calculated fields. I
> could even see where someone might enter both hours and expenses into
> the same record which just didn't make sense to me...hence the idea of
> separate forms - or at least form types...total hours - time entries -
> expenses being the most initially obvious. So in answer to your question
> of why I would think them useful, I am more to the point that they may
> be necessary.
>
> I could even see an extension to the horde_sidebar where you had
> 'stop/start' button on 'default' form...somewhat of a timeslips keeper
> tool.
----
one more thought on this - I am assuming that Chuck and Jan monitor this
list and I suppose that this might break the api of the horde project
itself...

If a user set a preference, a separate small window (ala compose mail)
would pop up upon login/logoff that showed any 'open' timekeeper. This
window would simply list elements such as 'client' 'project'
'description' 'start time' 'stop time' and have start/stop buttons as
well. This would seem to be entirely useful to professionals such as
accountants, lawyers, programmers etc.

Craig