[horde] Horde Feature Request?

Atif Ghaffar aghaffar at developer.ch
Fri Jan 26 07:43:39 PST 2001

Ry Jones wrote:
> I run virtual webservers for many dozens of websites and I need to find a
> webmail solution for this problem. What I want to be able to do is have one
> install to keep current and be able to run webmail for all the domains. The
> other thing I want to do is seperate mail spools so I can have me at foo.net and
> me at bar.com and not have a username collision. This is a sendmail/cyrus issue
> not imp but man I want multidomain support in the best way.

Hi Ry.
Cyrus cannot handle virtual hosts, the way we want.
The solution I propose is to use user names like.
atif_developer_ch
this will not collide with atif_developer_com or atif_developer_net
The only problem they cause is that the user frown on using the long
username.
Unfortunately there is no Host header in IMAP or POP3 as there is in
HTTP 1.1.

If you are only offering webmails then you are in luck, the users will
not know about the long name issue.
if the are at webmail.developer.ch and they enter username: atif, then
you can with php or javascript convert it to atif_developer_ch

there is more information about this problem and solution at
http://www.linuxfocus.org/English/September2000/article173.shtml

And if you find yourself using and managing lots of domains and users,
then have a look at
http://www.ispman.org