[horde] Introduction

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Tue Jan 30 14:25:37 PST 2001

Quoting mdean at kcnet.com:

> It would not be a waste of time to do this.  A nightmare?  Maybe.  But not a
> waste of time.  As I said, it depends on the APIs.

I guess I should have more accurately said: I'm not sure that the payoff will
justify the effort.

> API aside, my thoughts are with the end users.  Not everyone will run Horde.
> Nor will they run phpGW.I don't want anyone to say "I can't use DCL because it
> (a) requires Horde (b) requires phpGW (c) doesn't integrate with phpGW (d)
> doesn't integrate with Horde". I already have several users that use phpGWthat
> want DCL to operate within that environment.  I sure there would be some Horde
> users as well, that's why I bought up the abstraction to interface with DCL. I
> had never thought about that possibility until last night, and I do not wantto
> DCL to become explicitly tied to any environment.

I can certainly understand this point of view.

> I have some ideas already on abstracting pieces of DCL to operate withinphpGW.
>  If Horde's API is remotely similar or is equally modular, it may not be that
> difficult of a task.  But I don't have enough info to make a good call on
> that yet.

Similar? From looking at phpGW, I doubt it. As modular? I certainly hope so. ;)
I'm curious how you see the abstracted API working. I'm having a hard time
thinking of a nice way to have something use one app framework or another...

-chuck

--
Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck at horde.org>
"My intuitive grasp of math often leads me astray." -Me