[horde] alternative imp mail delivery methods

Rich Lafferty rich at horde.org
Fri Feb 23 10:19:09 PST 2001

On Fri, Feb 23, 2001 at 11:25:29AM +0100, Nico Galoppo (scratch at ace.ulyssis.org) wrote:

> > IMAP is just a protocol to move the contents of messages around, and
> > so's SMTP. Neither of them mean "sending mail to the Internet". A
> > mailbox is a database of mail, IMAP's a protocol to speak to the
> > database and get mail out, and local sendmail is a way to speak to the
> > database and put mail in.
> >
> > Given that this wheel's already very well established, why reinvent
> > it?
>
> I agree, but I don't see how you want me to use IMP *without* having a
> userbase and IMAP server set up on some box to store the messages.

You can't; but that IMAP server is your "database".

> I'd rather keep the messages stored on the same box that IMP runs
> on, without the need for a UNIX account for every website user I
> have.

Well, use an IMAP server that supports that; one of Courier or Cyrus
does (I don't use either.) Of course, IMP doesn't care where the IMAP
server resides as long as it knows how to reach it.

All you've really described above is internal mail. :-)

  -Rich

 Sysadmin/Programmer, Instructional and Information Technology Services