[horde] Horde imap

Brent J. Nordquist bjn at horde.org
Wed Feb 28 03:39:26 PST 2001

On Wed, 28 Feb 2001, The Afif <ogsedp at rad.net.id> wrote:

>      I would implement webmail using imp to my mail server (MTA
>      Qmail), do courier-imap compatible with this software ?

Yes, it is.  qmail + Courier is a good combination.

>      what advantage & weaknesses using both imap and courier-imap

By "imap" I assume you mean "UW-IMAP"?  It depends on your mail system
design.

- If you only have a small number of users then it probably won't make
much difference.

- If you have a lot of users then you need more IMAP servers... if you
want to do that by sharing the mail folders using NFS then you definitely
don't want UW-IMAP, you want Courier (and the Maildir storage format) or
Cyrus (which has its own storage).

- If you want to add more IMAP servers by splitting your users up between
them (with mail folders only accessible from a local disk), then you can
use UW-IMAP and the mbx storage format.

--
Brent J. Nordquist <bjn at horde.org>