hidden cookies?

Tim Jones tjones at mail.wesleyan.edu
Tue Dec 4 10:36:29 PST 2001

I'm taking a class at Wesleyan University in the US called "Cryptography
and Network Security". Wesleyan students can currently access their email
via v2.2.5 of Horde IMP. As part of my final project, I'm attempting to
write an exploit of the cross-site scripting vulnerability that Joao Pedro
Goncalves noted on this mailing list last month.

In exploring Horde's session-authentication scheme, I've been unable to
figure out where Horde stores its session ID cookie on the client's
computer. For instance, when I log in to access my email, my browser will
alert me that my mail server is sending me a cookie called "HordeSession";
but afterwards, I can find no cookie of that name on my hard drive. (ie, in
Netscape's "cookies.txt" or MSIE's "/windows/cookies/") Can anyone explain
to me how my computer is then able to authenticate itself to the Horde
server without appearing to store the HordeSession cookie?

I'm making every effort to insure that these experiments are being
conducted legitimately: I've notified Wesleyan's sysadmin and
computer-science department and am accessing only my personal email account
and those of friends I've consulted with beforehand.

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated! Many thanks in advance,
=Timmy Jones=

>From chuck at horde.org Date: Tue,  4 Dec 2001 13:44:47 -0500
> In exploring Horde's session-authentication scheme, I've been unable to
> figure out where Horde stores its session ID cookie on the client's
> computer. For instance, when I log in to access my email, my browser will
> alert me that my mail server is sending me a cookie called "HordeSession";
> but afterwards, I can find no cookie of that name on my hard drive. (ie, in
> Netscape's "cookies.txt" or MSIE's "/windows/cookies/") Can anyone explain
> to me how my computer is then able to authenticate itself to the Horde
> server without appearing to store the HordeSession cookie?

Session cookies are never written to disk.

-chuck

--
Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck at horde.org>
"What was and what may be, lie, like children whose faces we cannot see, in the