[horde] smtp host for misc POP3 'change_server'

Justin Zachor justinz at covad.net
Sat Feb 2 20:24:56 PST 2002

> > 2.  Question
> >
> > Is there any problem setting horde/IMP to use 'localhost' for IMAP auth?
> > PHP is executed on the server, yes, so if the horde/IMP installation is
> > on the same machine as the IMAP server, then will 'localhost' work? What
> > about for SMTP? The reason I ask is that I want to eliminate any chance
> > of routing through the nearest router (vs staying local).
>
> Shouldn't be a problem. Have you tried?

Yes, in imp/config/servers.php I changed it to
  'smtphost' => 'localhost'      // from fluffy.homeip.net

and in horde/config/horde.php to
  $conf['auth']['params']['dsn'] = '{localhost:143}INBOX';

and I changed local SMTP server (Mercury32) to accept relays
from 127.0.0.1

The result was:

1. I'm still able to login to horde fine;
2. now able to send a message from a non-local mail account
   without receiving an error on the compose page;
3. HOWEVER mail never arrived (tried from two different remote
   domains, to two diff. remote domains);
4. No more errors in SMTP (Mercury32) log *OR* horde log - now
   I see deleivery records/receipts
5. Again, mail never arrived at either of those remote accounts

It kinda stinks becasue I'm surfing to the horde web page from
localhost, so it's tough to predict what's going to happen when I'm
away from this machine. I have to keep reminding myself that PHP is
executed on the server, like any cgi, not like Java, etc...., so
what I see here should be what I see outside my network.

Justin