[horde] Re: Comments and thoughts on Horde Framework

Chuck Hagenbuch chuck at horde.org
Wed Apr 24 10:09:05 PDT 2002

Quoting Hermit <klowther at cisnet.com>:

> I had to bounce from directory to directory to different config files to
> get set up.  Horde, Imp and Turba.  Many of the files have areas to
> customize or simply uncomment the appropriate lines.  One was for the
> different installed modules.
>
> Why can't this be done in one file?  Select modules.  Select the
> authentication method once.  Select the database once.  Etc.  For
> legacy, a line bypassing the new 'master' config file for those that
> choose to.  It seems this would make writing an install script much
> easier.

My reaction is mainly from a software engineering standpoint; I am open to
feedback that it really should/can be easier. But it seems like what
you're giving up - mostly self-contained apps, the ability to override
individual settings for different applications, the scoping of the
preferences system - isn't worth it. And if you're talking about writing
an installer program, dealing with one file versus multiple files is just
a programming problem, and a solvable one - wanting an easier way like
that shouldn't be a reason for sloppier engineering. Ease of use is
another matter, of course.

-chuck

--
Charles Hagenbuch, <chuck at horde.org>
"A dream which helps you to live your reality with dignity