[horde] new project?

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Tue Aug 27 13:44:19 PDT 2002

What would it take to get a new horde project started?

I'm interested in using Horde to set up a virtual-host website management
suite.  A friend and I are starting to look into hosting a handful of
websites for ourselves and other friends, and I want to do this right.  I
guess the eventual goal would be to have a vhost setup that would work for
any ISP.

I don't think it would be particularly difficult (I'm relatively new to
php, but have been doing some hefty perl stuff for a LONG time), though in
order to get around some permissions issues I'd probably have to combine
the php scripts with manual calls to suexec and some perl scripts (not a
big deal).

Dunno what others think, but I thought I'd ask.  Eventually, I'd like to
be able to have this thing manage virtual email accounts (I have command
line tools for this already built), dns editing (piece of cake to build
the tools once I get a dns server set up), passwords, etc.

I'd also like to write something capable of handling mail filtering via
courier's maildrop files, but this would also require some tweaky editing
because the virtual accounts are login-less.  though maybe I'll poke
around in courier's webmail module to see if it has some internal method
for editing those files without actually logging in.

Anyway, thoughts/criticisms welcome...

-Chris