[horde] test problem

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Thu Nov 7 07:38:27 PST 2002

Quoting s-beutel at gmx.de:

> Hi Eric,
>
> > > that pear/log problem seems to be quite common - every week there are a
> > > few questions concerning this.
> >
> > That is why it is in the FAQ.
>
> Really? I may be blind - but I cannot find it, only the short notice that
> 'PHP 4.2.1 has missing modules from PEAR, which must be manually installed.
> See horde/docs/INSTALL for more information.'

While the above should be sufficient, it is also in:

http://www.horde.org/faq/admin/trouble/index.php#t51

> > > Thus, it might be helpful to have a 'one-fits-all'
> > > solution as far as possible.
> >
> > There is no one size fits all solution.  But several reasonable solutions
> > are listed in the FAQ.
> >

> Okay, that ultimate solution is impossible; I thought so. But in fact, in
> almost all situations (at mine as well as with other users I tried to help at
> this point), the easiest and safest way to get the pear log running was with
> pear from ftp.horde.org

Yes, but that pear is pretty old.  So I almost hate to recommend it...
But it will work for most people I guess.

> > > To my experience - I may be wrong - the log library from pear.php.net
> > > differs from that from horde - for which reason ever.
> >
> > It is newer.  They should both work.
> >
> Obviously to state they do not. I would pretty much like to know why.

I use the one from pear.php.net without problem.  Works fine.  But there
can be version mismatches, so they won't always work in all cases.

> I really do not want to bother you, just want to help some newbies get off
> the ground (maybe this is a strange approach, but it helps)

Yes, getting info out there is always good.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Why get even? Get odd!