[horde] Apache 2.0 - PHP 4.2.2. on Red Hat 8.0 Upload size issue

Gary Myers gary at gaztronics.co.uk
Sun Nov 17 04:38:22 PST 2002

Hi all,

I stumbled across a problem with Red Hat 8.0 running Apache 2.0 and PHP
4.2.2 with my Horde 2.1 and Imp 3.1 set up.

The issue surrounds the file upload limits, normally set via
/etc/php.ini. The Apache configuration has been split off into two
directories, with "master" configurations stored in /etc/httpd/conf.d.
This directory contains a file called 'php.conf' and normally contains
the following text:

#
# PHP is an HTML-embedded scripting language which attempts to make it
# easy for developers to write dynamically generated webpages.
#

LoadModule php4_module modules/libphp4.so

#
# Cause the PHP interpreter handle files with a .php extension.
#
<Files *.php>
      SetOutputFilter PHP
      SetInputFilter PHP
      LimitRequestBody 545224
</Files>

#
# Add index.php to the list of files that will be served as directory
#
DirectoryIndex index.php

The line "LimitRequestBody" has an initial value of a mere 500kB, and
appears to override the value contained in /etc/php.ini. Removing the
line from the php.conf returns control back to the php.ini settings.

The fault manifests itself as an "Error 413 - POST size...." as you
click on the 'Attach' button in the Compose window.

At this point, I do not know if this is a Red Hat issue, or an Apache
issue. I will be keeping an eye out in future RPM updates.

Best Regards from England   :)

Gary Myers