[horde] Horde with many users

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Fri Jan 10 09:28:36 PST 2003

Quoting Jens Peter Möller <jpm at klausi-hh.de>:

> I wan't to set up a dedicated server only for
> mail with horde and imp. In future there might be
> up to 10.000 users.

Should not be a problem.

> I know I should use cyrus and postfix, but I have no
> priviledges (and enough experience) to install
> new system software. The server has installed
> sendmail and uw-imap.

Sendmail vs postfix is pretty much non-important as far as performance
goes.  Your real issue is the imap.  uw-imap is slow, how slow depends
on the mailbox format you tell it to use.  Probably you won't have much
control over the imap format, so you will be using the default, and
very slow format.

> Do you think, it's possible?

Depends on your hardware.  To do 10K users with wu-imap with default
storage format, you will need some good hardware.  Fast CPU and really
fast disk, and this is possible.  Otherwise, no.  (Of course, it also
depends on what your performance goals are.  If your users expect
response time to be 2 seconds, 4 seconds, 10 seconds, etc.)

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Why get even? Get odd!