[horde] Debugging my problems - Big one solved

Rob Brandt bronto at csd-bes.net
Tue Jan 14 09:40:41 PST 2003

Through the help of some other people on other lists I've been able to resolve
many of the problems that were afflicting my horde installation.  Most of the
most severe problems were chalked up to a bug in PHP.  I want to post it there
so that there is some closure to the thread and a reference to it in the mailing
list archives.

During this ordeal, I upgraded to PHP v4.2.3.  There is a documented bug in that
 version, that when you compile it with the options  --enable-mbstring and/or
--enable-mbstr-enc-trans that in many POSTs the first 4 characters of variable
are stripped off, resulting in all kinds of trouble.  See
http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=19404 .  A number of troubles I reported were
caused by this, particularly the inability to save conf files, create effective
mail filters in IMP based on subject, and others.  Problem solved when I rolled
back to PHP 4.2.2.

I also got the PEAR problems resolved, I believe.  At least everything shows up
as OK in the PEAR section of test.php.

I have two remaining issues that need resolution.  I still can't get mime-magic
to show as loaded.  I have asked about this on many lists, including the
php-install and the YellowDogLinux support list, which is the distro I use.  Not
many have confessed to using mime-magic.  On the YDL list, someone pointed out
that the php docs say on the intro page to the mime section that those functions
are only available in php 4.3 and higher.  I pointed out that this must not have
been applicable to mime-magic, since the Horde requirements say that mime-magic
is required and a minimum of PHP 4.2.1 is required.  He searched the php sources
and verified (according to him) that there are no mime-magic sources included.
So, what in fact is the requirement, and do the mime-magic functions work in PHP
4.2.2.  If so, can someone with a linux installation verify whether a .so file
is required to be loaded with php.ini.  I've googled looking for sources for
mime-magic, with no luck.

Second issue is that many of the horde applications, including IMP, show the
"Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in
/var/www/html/horde/imp/lib/Folder.php on line 147"
error.  I've read the threads about this, that the IMP conf.php needs to be
reloaded from the XML file, and I have reinitialized conf.php, even comparing
afterwards the XML and php files to make sure they have all the same entries,
and that the values for each are correct.  I've also verified that my horde
configuration files are up to date, and are as far as I can tell.  Since the
error appears in many of the modules, that implies to me that it's a horde conf
problem, not specifically IMP.  It also may be a result of mime-magic not working
yet; I don't know.

Here's the contents of my conf.php from IMP; if there is something missing I'd
appreciate knowing:
<?php
$conf['utils']['spellchecker'] = '';
$conf['utils']['gnupg'] = '';
$conf['utils']['gnupg_keyserver'] = '';
$conf['utils']['openssl_cafile'] = '';
$conf['menu']['apps'] = array('turba');
$conf['user']['allow_folders'] = true;
$conf['user']['allow_view_source'] = true;
$conf['user']['allow_resume_all'] = false;
$conf['user']['allow_resume_all_in_drafts'] = false;
$conf['user']['alternate_login'] = false;
$conf['user']['redirect_on_logout'] = false;
$conf['user']['select_sentmail_folder'] = false;
$conf['server']['server_list'] = 'none';
$conf['server']['change_server'] = false;
$conf['server']['change_port'] = false;
$conf['server']['change_protocol'] = false;
$conf['server']['change_folders'] = false;
$conf['filter']['driver'] = 'prefs';
$conf['mailbox']['date_format'] = '%x';
$conf['mailbox']['time_format'] = '%X';
$conf['mailbox']['max_from_chars'] = 40;
$conf['mailbox']['max_subj_chars'] = 40;
$conf['mailbox']['from_link'] = 'message';
$conf['mailbox']['show_attachments'] = false;
$conf['mailbox']['show_preview'] = false;
$conf['msg']['prepend_header'] = true;
$conf['msg']['append_trailer'] = true;
$conf['msg']['filtering']['words'] = './config/filter.txt';
$conf['msg']['filtering']['replacement'] = '****';
$conf['spam']['reporting'] = false;
$conf['spam']['email'] = 'postmaster at example.com';
$conf['spam']['program'] = '/usr/local/bin/spamassassin -r';
$conf['compose']['use_vfs'] = false;
$conf['compose']['allow_cc'] = true;
$conf['compose']['allow_bcc'] = true;
$conf['compose']['date_format'] = '%c';
$conf['compose']['allow_receipts'] = true;
$conf['compose']['special_characters'] = true;
$conf['compose']['add_maildomain_to_unexpandable'] = false;
$conf['tos']['file'] = '';
$conf['hooks']['vinfo'] = false;
$conf['hooks']['trailer'] = false;
$conf['hooks']['fetchmail_filter'] = false;
TIA

Rob