[horde] PHP's Mime Magic Support

Rob Brandt bronto at csd-bes.net
Wed Jan 15 09:35:09 PST 2003

Quoting Michael M Slusarz <slusarz at bigworm.colorado.edu>:

> Quoting Rob Brandt <bronto at csd-bes.net>:
>
> | I have been struggling with this for more than a week too.  I learned
> | yesterday (although this is unconfirmed) that:
> |
> | * Despite mime-magic being listed as a requirement in the INSTALL doc, it
> | is not; and
>
> This is NOT true.  It is listed under _reccommended_ modules.

Yes, I just checked, you're right.  But it is listed as item g under
"Prerequisites
   2. PHP 4.2.1 or above
      "The following PHP options are required by Horde (listed with their own prerequisites
       and configure options).  In many cases, the required libraries and tools can be
       obtained as packages from your operating system vendor."
          a...
          b...
       "The following PHP options are either recommended or are required by a specific Horde
        application (as noted in [brackets])."
          c...
          d...
          e...
          f...
          g. Mimetype functions {enable-mime-magic}

The problem is that item g lists no modules that make use of the functions, and there is no note that the minimum required version of PHP does not support them.  Any newbie is going to read that and think "I'd better put those in" so that any unknown module that needs them will have them.  And if anything less than PHP 4.3 is installed, waste a bunch of time.  And, I would argue, that for a different category of prerequisites (required vs. recommended) the item lettering should start over at a. to make the differences especially clear.  Test.php should also make a note when the test for mime-type fails, that it is not supported by <4.3.

> | * Mime-magic is only supported in PHP 4.3 and higher.
>
> True.

Thanks.

And apologies if you are in fact one of the devs.  I didn't see your name on the "team" page, but have since noted your name in the bug database.

Rob