[horde] Epimetheus Stats Module!!

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Thu Jan 16 12:45:58 PST 2003

> Have any of you interested in this looked at odin in CVS? If you consider

Yes, I was wondering about its application here, but didn't know enough about
odin to say if it was a good fit or not.

> this a two-part application: data-gathering and data-processing/display,
> then odin is a pretty good fit; you just need to add the data-gathering
> pieces for Horde (right now it has a few fairly generic data gathering
> pieces).

Sounds good to me.

> It also has a bit of hacked together support for graphing,
> searches, etc. It may be best to improve that app rather than starting
> something completely new.

I agree.  And, we could probably get more help from you since you wrote
odin *wink* *wink*

> (also, the name is already there and is only 4 letters ;)

Big win for me ;)

> -chuck

As for where to start with data gathering, I think the most often asked
questions are:

1) How many logins per timeframe
2) How many unique logins per timeframe
3) How many concurrent logins per timeframe

You could get 1+2 from either logs or session info, but #3 really requires
session info (since many people won't logout, but just close the browser, etc).
It may not be easy to get 1+2 from session data though, so we might want to
combine (1+2 from logs, 3 from session).

After that, other reports I'd like to see is:

1) Total number of people using horde at my site (could be by virtual domain
   for those who have them).
2) Number/List of people who have "used" each horde application. (Have data
   in the storage backend for most of them, but some apps are more difficult
   to figure out who is using them -- maybe logs would be useful here?)

Just some thoughts to help start the project.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Why get even? Get odd!