[horde] passwd-2.1 install problem

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Mon Feb 3 06:55:33 PST 2003

Quoting Admin-Stress <meerkapot at yahoo.com>:

> > If so, it may be a problem with your default permissions in your apache
> > configuration. That is, you usually set the / (default, whole site)
> permissions
> > really tight, then relax them for your document root or specific areas.
>
> All are owned by root:root (or root:wheel), chmod 755
> But, imp is working fine with this.

I didn't mean your unix permissions, but your apache permissions set
by directives in your apache configuration file.  Something like:

<Directory />
    Options FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride None
</Directory>

> > What is in your apache error log when you try to access the passwd page?
>
> Directory index forbidden by rule: /home/www/webmail/horde/passwd/

This is basically telling you that your httpd configuration is not
allowing access to the passwd directory.

In other words, the problem is somewhere in your apache configuration.
Without looking up the above error message, I would make the *guess*
that "Indexes" is not on.  For example, changing the above example
stanza to:

<Directory />
    Options FollowSymLinks Indexes
    AllowOverride None
</Directory>

might fix the problem (but shouldn't be used blindly, as it could be
considered a security issue, so consider the implications.  But it could
be useful in debugging the problem at least).

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Why get even? Get odd!