[horde] Can't login when saving preferences to mysql

Rob S. horde at rjs3.com
Thu Feb 13 14:00:29 PST 2003

I figured out my problem with logins failing.  The real problem was an apache
config issue.  It just so happened that when I switched to mysql preferences
and back, my logins stopped/started working making me think mysql preferences
were to blame.  Anyway, just a good note for anyone setting up their apache
DocumentRoot.  Maybe this is in the documentation, but I don't remember reading
it.

The problem:  My logins would often redirect me to the login page over and over
essentially making the system unusable.  According to the imap and horde logs,
all the logins were successful.  However, no session files were being created
and horde would redirect me to the login screen with a "session expired"
message.

In my apache httpd.conf, I had the DocumentRoot set to:
/usr/share/horde

Of course, horde's apache.conf entry aliases /horde to /usr/share/horde.
So http://mysite.com and http://mysite.com/horde were pointing to the same
directory.  My guess is that this might cause session problems because the
cookie path appears incorrect to the browser (set to "/horde" but the browser
thinks its accessing "/").  Don't know exactly...anyone?  So I changed my
cookie path from "/horde" to "/".  That still did not fix it.

The solution:
Finally, I set my DocumentRoot to:
/usr/share/horde/
Note the SLASH at the end of the path.  That cleared everything up.

Hope this might help anyone else that may be experiencing these problems.  It
sure wasted a lot of my time.  Now I'm sure someone will now show me where it
was in the FAQ all this time :)

Rob