[horde] Re: [imp] What's the advantage of using CVS?

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Fri Feb 21 08:47:56 PST 2003

Quoting Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com>:

> Using CVS releases enable you to participate in the software
> development
> phase by working through the changes & problems and reporting back.

It also lets you use some of the less developed modules that don't work
with the released versions.

> All you need to know about using Horde/IMP etc CVS is here...
> <http://www.horde.org/source/>

There's a lot of info about how to get CVS files, and use CVS to update
a local tree, but all that's gotten me is a mirror of the CVS tree, set
up to distribute files as opposed to run a horde system.  Not much clue
how to get from "ok, I've got the files" to "now I have a running
system".  Many of the files appear to be optional, extraneous, or not
in the directory they would be in for a working installation.

I suppose if I understood how to arrange the files for a working
configuration, it would be easier to understand how to update an
installation from CVS, but that's even less clear.

Applying the patches for the stable versions, while undocumented,
wasn't too hard to figure out.  (You copy the patch file to the folder
containing the installed program, then use patch -p1 < patchfile).
Assuming that you left the .dist files in the config directory, you can
now use diff <file>.php <file>.php.dist and figure out how to put your
old configuration into the new file.

(It would be great if someone came up with some sort of automation to
preserve the old configuration while updating the config file and
annotating new options...)