[horde] maximum execution time exceeded

Liam Hoekenga liamr at umich.edu
Sat Feb 22 10:47:03 PST 2003

Hey guys -

We've just started experimenting w/ deploying Horde / IMP on linux, and we're
having a bit of a strange problem.  It takes a very long time for people to log
in - in our error log, we're seeing...

[Sat Feb 22 13:32:33 2003] [error] PHP Fatal error:  Maximum execution time of
30 seconds exceeded in Unknown on line 0

Generally, it never gets past the login screen, and the browser sits and spins.
While it's spinning, if you reenter the URL and try to go there again, it lets
you right in.

I don't think it's the IMAP servers - our solaris test machine works fine, and
once the session's established on the linux box, it's extremely responsive.
I've tried turning off all the weird extras (switching back to the PHP session
handler from the OCI8 / SQL horde_sessionhandler session handler, turning off
the IonCube PHP accelerator).  I've tried both PHP 4.2.3 and PHP 4.3.0.  I
thought maybe we were asking for too much entropy, so I turned it down to 16
from 64.  Should we be fetching it from /dev/random instead of /dev/urandom?

any ideas?

Liam