[horde] Make Horde 3.0 Dev look like Horde 2.2?

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Fri Mar 7 23:21:44 PST 2003

Quoting Jonathan Kuipers <jonathan at kuipernet.com>:

> I am wondering if there is a way I could make Horde 3.0 dev. look like
> horde  2.2.

It isn't supported but you can do it if you want to put the work into it.

> The reason I am doing this is so that the users would not notice a
> difference, and I need some of the features in 3.0

I'm in the same boat, more or less.

> All that i really want is
> to remove the menu from the side and put back the old style menu on the
> bottom.

Easier said then done.

> Is this easy to do? Thanks.

No.  The only way to really do this is to go back and grab a (hopefully)
stable snapshot of CVS from right before the menu change was made.  Then
if you need patches since then, carefully merge them in.

This is basically what I did, in that I stopped doing normal CVS updates
once the menu change was made.  I still merge in as many changes as I
can, but this is a lot of work, and in some modules (e.g. turba) I've had
to pretty much just give up and stop updating it.

I run an actual current CVS checkout in parallel with it (as well as
RELENG checkouts and tarball installs, but that is another matter).

I'm sure people are wondering why I do this...

The reason I do this is that I created a User's Guide for the old style,
and can't switch to the new layout until I get a new User's Guide for
the new style.  But I can't update the User's Guide completely, since it
is really meant for others to use with the current release which is
still the old style. So my code is stuck in the past due to the docs
and my desire to share the docs with others (which hasn't actually
happened yet).

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics