[horde] trying to use symbolic links

Brent J. Nordquist bjn at horde.org
Fri Apr 25 16:36:05 PDT 2003

On Thu, 24 Apr 2003, Edward Burr <horde at email.burr.cc> wrote:

> For ease of maintenance, I attempted to keep all the various modules
> separate, and use symbolic links to point to them.

Just thought I'd give my $0.02 -- I've never tried the sym. link approach
and don't know what would be needed to make it work.

>    /var/www/html/horde/horde-2.2.1
>                                   /imp-3.2.1
>                                   /imp -> ./imp-3.2.1

Personally when I need to run two versions (or transition from one to
another), I just make a complete copy of everything.  Then I use Apache
DocumentRoot and VirtualHost directives to control which one is the
http://www.example.org/horde/ and which has to specify a port number in
the URL.  Then I can roll what the users see forward and backward with
just Apache directives, and have access to the other one simultaneously
for myself.

    /var/www/html/horde
                       /imp
                       /turba
    /var/www/html223/horde
                          /imp
                          /turba

> Notice that every module is completely duplicated in each horde update,
> wasting space,

If you have GNU cp, using "cp -al" would make a copy where it uses hard
links, thus removing the waste.  But really, with modern machines, these
little PHP scripts are very lightweight.  I don't lose sleep over two or
more completely separate copies.

> and causing me to have to make the same change in multiple copies.

In my experience, I don't run with two parallel versions for very long;
it's usually a transitional step, and the old one goes away pretty
quickly.

--
Brent J. Nordquist <bjn at horde.org> N0BJN
Other contact information: http://www.nordist.net/contact.html