[horde] Newbie question

Dan Wells danwlxiv at netscape.net
Wed Apr 30 13:33:07 PDT 2003

As the IT manager for an architectural firm (an architect with a recessive nerd gene) I have been searching for a way to collaborate with clients, consultants, and partners.  FTP works but having an easier way would be very nice.  There are on-line services that provide this service, but they are expensive and offer very limited space.  I have done some searching on the Internet for open-source solutions and have found some that offer some of what I am looking for but they are usually geared toward content management, software collaboration or web page management.  I was steered toward the “Horde” project on  a PostgreSQL forum.

What I am looking for in a collaboration tool:

1.  Web based access (must have)
2.  Runs on Linux / Apache / PostgreSQL/RedHat Database 2.1 if a Database is needed (must have)
3.  Security and access by user and group (must have))
4.  File sharing with a directory structure (must have)
5.  E-mail with hidden addresses (except to administrator) (would be great)
6.  Customizable work-flow for "requests for information" and responses (would be nice)
7.  file viewing for PDF, Word and Excel files and to some extent DWF or DWG (would be nice)

Can anyone offer some advice or direction to look if “Horde” is not the project to use (I realize the “Gollem” is in development).   I have downloaded the horde framework and several of the “modules.”

I have been working for about three days to get the basic framework with IMP up and working without success.  My test system is running RH 8.0, Apache 2, PHP 4.2.2 , IMAP 2001a-15, RedHat Database 2.1 (PostgreSQL 7.2.x).  Are there any "how-to's" for this configuration that would be easy to follow?

Here is a copy of the “Test.php” results

Horde Versions

    * Horde: 2.2.3
    * IMP: 3.2.1 (run IMP tests)

PHP Version

    * View phpinfo() screen
    * PHP Version: 4.2.2
    * PHP Major Version: 4.2
    * PHP Minor Version: 2
    * PHP Version Classification: release
* You are running a supported version of PHP.

PHP Module Capabilities

    * DOM XML Support: Yes
    * FTP Support: Yes
    * Gettext Support: Yes
    * IMAP Support: Yes
    * LDAP Support: Yes
    * MCAL Support: No
    * Mcrypt Support: No
    * MySQL Support: Yes
    * PostgreSQL Support: Yes
    * XML Support: Yes

Miscellaneous PHP Settings

    * magic_quotes_runtime disabled: Yes
    * file_uploads enabled: Yes
    * safe_mode disabled: Yes
    * trans_sid disabled: Yes

PHP Sessions

    * Session counter: 1
    * To unregister the session: click here

PEAR

    * PEAR - Yes
    * Recent PEAR - Yes
    * Mail - Yes
    * Log - Yes
    * DB - Yes
    * Net_Socket - Yes
    * Date - Yes
    * HTML_Common/HTML_Select - Yes

The IPM test results are

IMP Version

    * IMP: 3.2.1

PHP Version

    * View phpinfo() screen
    * PHP Version: 4.2.2
    * PHP Major Version: 4.2
    * PHP Minor Version: 2
    * PHP Version Classification: release
* You are running a supported version of PHP.

PHP IMAP Support Test
server="localhost" user="danw" mailbox="{localhost:143/imap/notls}INBOX"
INBOX has 4 messages (4 new 4 recent)

Thanks for your help!