[horde] Errors/issues getting Horde framework going...

jeff at donnici.com jeff at donnici.com
Fri May 2 15:02:53 PDT 2003

I just downloaded the latest Horde 3.x stuff from snaps.horde.org. The
test.php ran without any problems and correctly indicates that PHP has
mcrypt support.

I'm following Mike Cochrane's excellent HOWTO on getting Horde running
with PHP, Apache, MySQL, and Windows. After following all the directions,
I get the following error when I go to http://localhost/horde/

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: mcrypt_generic_deinit() in
c:\develop\webroot\horde\lib\Secret.php on line 41

If I then grab the current SECRET.PHP out of CVS and put it in horde/lib,
I don't get that error message... this leads to my first question:  Don't
the snapshot tarballs have all the latest CVS versions already? The
secret.php in CVS indicates that it's 4 weeks old, but the May 2, 2003
snapshot had an older version.

Ok, so with the new SECRET.PHP, I get logged in using Mike's instructions,
but now I see these messages at the top of the page (above the toolbar).

Notice: Undefined index: session_name in
c:\develop\webroot\horde\lib\Secret.php on line 137

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by
(output started at c:\develop\webroot\horde\lib\Secret.php:137) in
c:\develop\webroot\horde\templates\common-header.inc on line 3

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by
(output started at c:\develop\webroot\horde\lib\Secret.php:137) in
c:\develop\webroot\horde\templates\common-header.inc on line 4

So there is still a problem with the SECRET.PHP file (and the other two
are only occurring because the NOTICE was sent to the browser).

So is there some magical piece of info I'm missing when it comes to
SECRET.PHP?

To make matters worse... when I click on a toolbar button and then go back
to HOME, I get a GPF from Apache! It's one of those Windows XP messages
telling me that it wants to shut down apache.exe. The error details for
this are:

szAppName : Apache.exe
szAppVer : 0.0.0.0
szModName : php4ts.dll
szModVer : 4.3.1.1
offset : 000ad37f

Now for the pertinent details...

WinXP Pro (with SP-1) on a PIII machine with 512MB of RAM
PHP 4.3.1
MySQL 3.23.55-nt
Apache 1.3.27
... again, I downloaded the 5/02 horde snapshot from snaps.horde.org.

While I'm not a new developer and I have done a few internal PHP projects,
I'm new to the world of Horde development... so any insight you can
provide in getting me up and running for Horde development would be much
appreciate.

My ultimate goal with this is to get the HEAD/3.x framework running well
so that I can then install/configure WHUPS on top of it. That's where I
plan to actually do some development work.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff