Fwd: Re: [horde] Theme Lavender

Ziaur Rahman zialist at mzrahman.com
Sun Jun 1 07:45:44 PDT 2003

----- Forwarded message from zialist at mzrahman.com -----
    Date: Sun,  1 Jun 2003 22:41:27 +0800
    From: Ziaur Rahman <zialist at mzrahman.com>
 Subject: Re: [horde] Theme Lavender
      To: Mr H and D <handdinc at cox.net>

Hello,

Sorry for the late answer. Had to clear out tons of email.

Anyways, lemme get to the point.

>From what I can understand your mail, you are looking for a wokring version of
Horde/IMP (CVS). I presume you want somehting like the
Snapshot (http://mzrahman.com/snaps/lavender-snapshot.jpg) I gave.

I don't have a tarball for that Horde/IMP, also that distribution of Horde is
completely personelised for myself. But, I surely can suggest and guide you to
install that distro of Horde.

Here is a step-by-step guidance if you want something like the the snapshot:

* First of all you need the CVS version of Horde. So, before you can begin
installing, I should warn you that the CVS version of Horde requires all latest
PHP for it to work. I suggest you install latest Redhat, preferably 9, in a box
and then try it. Also, note that CVS version should not be used for critical
production environment.

1. you can use the following script to automate the download and priliminary
installation for you: http://zia.info/mywork/horde/dohorde.sh/dohorde.tar

2. cd into the parent directory where you would like your horde directory to
reside. Most probably: cd /var/www

3. Copy the dohorde.tar in that directory, and untar it:
tar -xvf dohorde.tar

You should see three files (cvs-expect, dohordemysql.sh, dohorde.sh).

4. I am assuming you have never installed Horde in the box that you are now
installing. So, now run the dohorde.sh script:

> ./dohorde.sh

5. If you have expect installed in your box, then it will start the downloading
right away. If you don't have expect, then it will ask you to enter the CVS
password (horde). It will then create a directory horde (i.e. /var/www/horde)
and start downloading horde from CVS.

6. Once the main horde directory is downloaded, it will ask you wehther you want
to download all the modules or only the core modules. When you enter your
choice it will go ahead and download the modules.

7. Once the downloading of modules are finished, it will automatically go into
the 'config' directory of each module and copy the .dist file to their original
filenames. It will also goto the 'config/templates', if exists, and do the
same.

8. Then the script will ask you whether you want it to setup the MySQL database
or not. Currently, it only supports MySQL. I didn't have time to give support
for PostGreSQL or Oracle. I might add them later.

9. Once you choose the script to setup the database for you, it will ask you for
the root password for mysql. Just enter the password then it will setup the
main Horde database and all the modules' database as well.

10. Now you are ready to test the Horde and configure it.

11. Goto http://yourdomain.com/horde/test.php and check whether you have
everything in line or not. If there is an error for the Pear, then you should
download the latest pear from http://www.horde.org/pear and untar it to the
pear location mentioned in the /etc/php.ini

12. If everything looks ok, go back to the box and edit the
horde/config/conf.php and change the following values:

$conf['sql']['password'] = '';
(this should be 'horde' for you. I strongly suggest you change the passoword.
Please refer to http://www.mysql.com for detail on changing password)

$conf['auth']['driver'] = '';
(enter sql in the '')

// $conf['auth']['driver'] = 'application';
// $conf['auth']['params']['app'] = 'imp';
(uncomment this two lines)

$conf['auth']['admins'] = array();
(enter your userid with which you will login to Horde i.e.
$conf['auth']['admins'] = array('zia','adam');)

$conf['category']['driver'] = '';
(enter sql in the '')

Now, save the file.

13. go into the directory horde/imp/config and edit the servers.php file and
change the settings for your server in the following section:

$servers['imap'] = array(
    'name' => 'IMAP Server',
    'server' => 'imap.example.com',
    'protocol' => 'imap/notls',
    'port' => 143,
    'folders' => 'mail/',
    'namespace' => '',
    'maildomain' => 'example.com',
    'smtphost' => 'smtp.example.com',
    'realm' => '',
    'preferred' => '',
    'dotfiles' => false,
    'hierarchies' => array());

(replace the imap.example.com with your own server's hostname)

You can also check the settings for this at
http://yourdomain.com/horde/imp/test.php - try to login from here first.

14. Once you are done with the above, you can goto your Horde site and login and
then goto the Administration Menu and from there goto Configuration and you
will be able to configure all the modules from there.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

| Ziaur Rahman           |       PGP Key: 0x8B686E8E|
| http://zia.info        |        http://pgp.mit.edu|
|                        |                          |
.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.- Quote-o-moment .-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

Where is John Carson now that we need him?
		-- RLG

Composing started at: Sun Jun  1 21:53:45 SGT 2003

(           morse code           )

----- End forwarded message -----