[horde] Horde upgrading procedure enhancement

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Fri Jul 11 08:51:38 PDT 2003

Quoting agullo at comtenidos.com:

> I'm curious about next major release, the admin interface and the
> improvements/impact about its new features compared to current way to do
> these customization tasks.

If I understand it correctly, it works kind of like this.

Instead of a config file in the distribution, you get an xml file that
defines what should go into the config file.  There is an admin interface
that reads this xml file.  I *think* it also reads any existing config file,
and merges your old values in where/when possible.  (It would be way cool
if there was some kind of migration ability added at this point, but AFAIK
there isn't.  Such a function would allow mapping old config variables/values
to new config variables/values).  You then configure it in this interface,
and it generates the configuration file for you.

Basically this allows you to easily keep your old values, supply you with
new default values, add new fields to the old configuration, etc.  All in
a nice web interface.

> Any estimated schedule for the next major
> release?

Nope.

--
Eric Rostetter