[horde] Does NAT & port-forwarding cause problems

Raj Gandhi raj_gandhi at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 16 14:52:23 PDT 2003

Good point Raj, let me see if I can help.   ( <- humor)

Looking at "PHP Info," the following is observed in PHP Variables:
_SERVER["HTTP_HOST"]   www.mydomain.com
_SERVER["SERVER_NAME"]    Redrover
_SERVER["SERVER_ADDR"]   10.0.0.251
_SERVER["SERVER_PORT"]   80

Looking in horde/config/registry.php the following lines are interesting:
$this->applications['horde'] = array(
   'cookie_domain' => $_SERVER['SERVER_NAME'],
   'server_name' => $_SERVER['SERVER_NAME'],
   'server_port' => $_SERVER['SERVER_PORT']

After changing both occurances of SERVER_NAME to HTTP_HOST, my main problem goes away.  Therefore, I'm inclined to believe that the default registry.php is wrong (or at least a brittle design).  The way it uses SERVER_NAME will not work for people like me using NAT and various aliasing (port forwarding).

On the other hand, I'm a novice with networking/DNS/apache and I know next to nothing about PHP.  Could someone please let me know if replacing SERVER_NAME with HTTP_HOST is appropriate?

Thanks,
Raj

Raj Gandhi <raj_gandhi at yahoo.com> wrote:

Trying to diagnose my problems, I installed Turba 1.2, Mnemo 1.1 and Nag 1.1 (in addition to Horde 2.2.3 and Imp 3.2.1). My OS is Red Hat 9 and I installed the Horde apps using the RPMs. The succinct version of my question is at the bottom; keep reading from here if you want some background.

The /tmp/horde.log is empty. I don't think it is configured properly even though I've tried a couple of times to set it to DEBUG and write to a file. Where do I find additional documentation on error logging?

I no longer think authentication is my problem because I can log in to Horde and Imp (using IMAP authentication). However, something isn't setup right because clicking on any of the icons (except Horde) in the lower frame sends me to "This page cannot be found" in IE 5.5. The errors I get vary depending on my browser, IE 6 usually works with warnings and Mozilla just sits there.

On the main Horde page, now I can see my Mail, Memos and Tasks. They all seem to work at least somewhat correctly. For example I can "Add Note" fine but clicking on "Memos" does work (I get the "This page cannot be found" from IE 5.5). In Mozilla, I saw a message flash saying it was trying to "Resolve Redrover."

"Redrover" is the name of my server machine. This leads me to believe there may be a DNS / NAT problem. I have one static IP address and my ISP gives it the name www.mydomain.com. My router uses NAT and port forwarding to help me serve http, ssh & mail. I don't have DNS running locally (10.0.0.0) except as a caching name server.

So, I'm wondering if I've set something wrong in /horde/registry.php because the bottom frame link/icons are looking for "redrover". My test machine is on the Internet and DNS has no idea what that means. I did a grep for redrover on /horde/config/* and there are no longer any occurrences. It seems like Horde is deriving the host name itself but without the benefit of knowing that I'm using NAT and port forwarding.

Here is the succinct version of my question:

Does /horde/registry.php (or other config files) need to be setup differently than typical when using NAT and port forwarding?

Thanks,

Raj