[horde] session.bug_compat_42 Warning

Neil Jolly neil at jollycom.ca
Fri Jul 18 08:23:51 PDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-07-17 at 16:19, Neil Jolly wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-07-16 at 16:13, Eric Rostetter wrote:
> > Quoting Neil Jolly <neil at jollycom.ca>:
> >
> > > I get the following warning string displayed only on logout:
> > >
> > > Warning: Unknown(): Your script possibly relies on a session side-effect
> > > which existed until PHP 4.2.3. Please be advised that the session
> > > extension does not consider global variables as a source of data, unless
> > > register_globals is enabled. You can disable this functionality and this
> > > warning by setting session.bug_compat_42 or session.bug_compat_warn to
> > > off, respectively. in Unknown on line 0
> > >
> > > I searched google for the error and found several messagesd saying to
> > > add "session.bug_compat_42 = Off" and/or "session.bug_compat_warn = Off"
> > > to the phph.ini, which I did and restarted apache. That fixed it on the
> > > login screen, but not on the logout screen. Everything else works well.
> >
> > Unless you have more than one php.ini file on your system, I don't see
> > how it could be fixed in one place and not in another.  You might check
> > to see if you have more than one php.ini file, and they are somehow getting
> > used for different pages...
> >

> No I only have the one php.ini (I did check!), but I have discovered
> more since the first email. The problem was not resolved at lonin screen
> after all, but only occurs if you close your browser, and then return to
> the login screen again, or log out. I you refresh the page the error
> message disappears. Are there any changes I could make in the code to
> resolve this issue, since the php.ini changes do not seem to have any
> effect. Suggestions anyone?

I've resolved this issue by changing this:

session.bug_compat_42 = Off
session.bug_compat_warn = Off

to this:

session.bug_compat_42 = 1
session.bug_compat_warn = 0

in my php.ini

--
Neil Jolly

(with Yoda-like voice)
"Confrontation leads to anger...  Anger leads to fear...  Fear leads
to using Windows NT in mission-critical combat systems...  And this is
how the ancients fell...