[horde] Horde install ideas

Jan Schneider jan at horde.org
Sun Oct 5 09:00:46 PDT 2003

Zitat von Kent Martin <horde at kentsworld.com>:

> It seems to me, particularly as things head more and more towards xml
> based
> config files for the various apps, that, inserting some "download and
> configure" horde application X type stuff into the admin section of the
> horde
> framework should not be a massively difficult task, the idea being it
> would
> look something like this:

Everything you said makes sense and is what we had in mind (among other
things) when we switched to the xml based configuration.
This actually has been discussed shortly some months ago and I remember a
mail from Chuck that he sent after the configuration interface was
complete, mentioning such a click-and-point-installation being
theoretically possible now.

> Please bear in mind that the preceding idea comes with a limited
> understanding
> of the horde architecture etc, however, it seems to me as several of the
> "next
> generation" horde applications appear to be nearing beta releases it
> might be
> time to jot down some thoughts on improving the current installation
> procedure.

This probably won't happen before the next major release cycle unless
someone *with* in-depth Horde knowledge steps forward. This shouldn't
further slow down the release process.
But, slowly moving to package based distribution, this should not be that
hard to implement later. I can think of this being a mixture of the
pear-(web?)-installer, our existing admin interfaces and a wizard like you
proposed.

Jan.