[horde] Connection to remote mysql server failed

Karen R McArthur kmcarthu at bates.edu
Wed Oct 29 06:13:41 PST 2003

I have a working Horde/IMP/Turba/MySQL system.  Due to the load on our web
server, I'd like to move the Horde/IMP/Turba off of the primary web server
to it's own Apache server - leaving the MySQL database on the primary web
server.  Currently, Horde/IMP/Turba is set up to connect to MySQL via
'localhost'.  I have modified the MySQL database by adding permissions for
horde at webdb the same as horde@% and horde at localhost (I modified and ran the
mysql_create.sql script to do this) so now my horde permissions look like
this:

mysql> use mysql

Database changed
mysql> select * from user where user='horde';
+-----------+-------+------------------+-------------+-------------+--------
-----+-------------+-------------+-----------+-------------+---------------+
--------------+-----------+------------+-----------------+------------+-----
-------+
| Host      | User  | Password         | Select_priv | Insert_priv |
Update_priv | Delete_priv | Create_priv | Drop_priv | Reload_priv |
Shutdown_priv | Process_priv | File_priv | Grant_priv | References_priv |
Index_priv | Alter_priv |
+-----------+-------+------------------+-------------+-------------+--------
-----+-------------+-------------+-----------+-------------+---------------+
--------------+-----------+------------+-----------------+------------+-----
-------+
| %         | horde | xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx | N           | N           | N
| N           | N           | N         | N           | N             | N
| N         | N          | N               | N          | N          |
| localhost | horde | xxxxxxxxxxxxxx | N           | N           | N
| N           | N           | N         | N           | N             | N
| N         | N          | N               | N          | N          |
| webdb     | horde | xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx | N           | N           | N
| N           | N           | N         | N           | N             | N
| N         | N          | N               | N          | N          |
+-----------+-------+------------------+-------------+-------------+--------
-----+-------------+-------------+-----------+-------------+---------------+
--------------+-----------+------------+-----------------+------------+-----
-------+
3 rows in set (0.00 sec)

mysql>

I then modified
../horde/config/horde.php to reflect ['hostspec'] = 'webdb';
..horde/turba/config/sources.php to refect 'hostspec' => 'webdb',

When I try to connect, after typing in my uer name and password, I receive
the following:

            A fatal error has occurred:

            DB Error: connect failed

            [line 108 of
/usr/local/apache_1.3.28/webmail/htdocs/horde_2.2.3/lib/Prefs/sql.php]

            Details have been logged for the administrator.

When I change horde.php and sources.php back to localhost, everything works
fine again.
What piece am I missing?
--
Karen R McArthur, Systems Administrator
Bates College, Information & Library Services
ph:207-786-8236 fax: 207-786-6057 kmcarthu at bates.edu