[horde] language

Daniel Eckl daniel.eckl at gmx.de
Thu Dec 18 08:20:05 PST 2003

Zitat von Eric Rostetter <eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu>:

> The non thread safe prerequisite is php, not gettext.  I don't think we
> can get rid of php.  So it would be better to work with the php folks to
> get php to be thread safe, not to change every php application to work
> around php limitations.

PHP is completely thread-safe. Just if you link it to not thread-safe libraries
like gettext, you have the problem.

So gettext library has to become thread-safe to eliminate this problem. Or you
eliminate gettext. That's the approach of PEAR I18N.

> > I believe you wanted to say: "Yes, that would fix the problem with the
> > languages
> > on multi-threaded apache, but this is a incredible amount of work, we would
> > loose the good gettext format and it's not worth it in my opinion."
>
> Or, perhaps in addition, rather than each project using php (say X projects)
> circumventing the problem, we can have just one project (php itself) fix
> the problem.

Well, gettext instead of php, but apart from that, I can confirm this.

> Okay.  The whole truth is horde isn't broken.  The limitation is in php.
> So the proper place to fix it is in php, not horde.

Okay, no problem with this. That was all I was saying, too. I only suggested a
second way beside of the proper one.

I think chuck and you are a little bit on edge these days... As I said to Chuck
already: Please don't take all those suggestions as a private criticism. If you
don't want to work around someone else's problem, then that's okay. But that's
no reason for me not to suggest it.

Greets,
Daniel