[horde] still can't get past 'You must configure a category backend'

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Sat Jan 10 20:25:44 PST 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-09 at 14:39, Craig White wrote:
> I haven't gotten anywhere with HEAD and unless I get it working today, I
> am going to use RELENG 2 (imp 3 etc.)
>
> A week ago, I asked if anyone was actually using HEAD with mysql to send
> me a copy of their horde/config/conf.php to see how theirs works since I
> can't make it work - I don't admit defeat easily but I am afraid of no
> other alternative.
>
> Is anyone using HEAD with mysql?

---
just a follow up...

I moved horde to horde.head and then dropped the horde db in mysql. Then
I created a new horde directory, cvs co on horde RELENG_2, imp RELENG_3,
turba & kronolith RELENG_1. ran horde/scripts/db/mysql_create.sql.
Edited horde/config/conf.php & registry.php imp/config/conf.php &
servers.php

and logged in - total time 10 minutes.

I know that you guys have a great product here and until HEAD, every
time I have tried, I got it up, installed and working without asking
anyone a single question.

HEAD however - at least for mysql preference backend on Red Hat AS 3
(mysql is available only as a non-supported 'extra') didn't work for me
and I spent a lot of time trying. I published my horde/config/conf.php,
my horde/test.php (not that anything seemed amiss) and begged for help.

I did receive the horde/config/conf.php files from Chad Beckman and Rick
Emery who claimed to have head working with mysql and examined them
carefully and noticed different things and tried them all.

Rick used
$conf['sql']['protocol'] = 'tcp';
Chad used
$conf['sql']['protocol'] = 'unix';
both had $conf['sql']['port'] commented out

I have verified that
$conf['sql']['socket'] = '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock'; is indeed correct.

I tried it both ways without success.
I have had no problem logging into mysql as user horde password horde -
h localhost and the now the RELENG versions worked without fuss.

in the auth configuration section...
Rick used...
$conf['auth']['driver'] = '';
$conf['auth']['checkip'] = false;
$conf['auth']['params'] = array();
$conf['auth']['driver'] = 'application';
$conf['auth']['params']['app'] = 'imp';
Chad used...
$conf['auth']['driver'] = 'sql';
$conf['auth']['checkip'] = true;
$conf['auth']['params'] = array('sql.php');
// $conf['auth']['driver'] = 'application';
// $conf['auth']['params']['app'] = 'imp';

decidely different here - I tried both ways...no go

Category section...
Rick used...
$conf['category']['driver'] = 'sql';
$conf['category']['params'] = array();
Chad didn't provide that to me so this is what I had used since day one
so I left it alone but intererstingly...this is the area (category
backend) that generates the error message.

Anyway - end result is that I cannot justify continuing to spend more
hours on trying to make head work. It's a shame

Craig