[horde] Webmail UI for Senior Citizens

Tony Brown tony at softplex.com
Tue Feb 3 13:35:53 PST 2004

Hi all,

I'm new to this list.

I run a usability engineering and UI design firm.  We are doing a community
service effort here in the Boston area regarding internet usability for
senior citizens (May 1, 2004).  As part of this effort we'd like to develop
a new open-source FREE webmail application in a user-centered design fashion
for seniors (e.g., design research, focus groups, software development,
iterative usability testing, and deployment by May 1).

I've heard that the Horde (IMP) user interface is already easy to use, and I
wanted to see if anyone has suggestions on approaching the software
development for new User Interface for a webmail application.  The idea is
to make this as simple as possible for those senior citizens that are scared
by software applications and computers.

If you have any thoughts about this from a software architecture
perspective, please e-mail me off-list.

                - Tony

Tony J. Brown, Ph.D.
Director of Usability Engineering